[openstack-dev] [glance][nova] how to upgrade from v1 to v2?

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Mon Sep 28 11:03:13 UTC 2015

On 09/25/2015 08:16 PM, Monty Taylor wrote:
> On 09/25/2015 06:37 PM, Chris Hoge wrote:
>>
>>> On Sep 25, 2015, at 10:12 AM, Andrew Laski <andrew at lascii.com
>>> <mailto:andrew at lascii.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I understand that reasoning, but still am unsure on a few things.
>>>
>>> The direction seems to be moving towards having a requirement that the
>>> same functionality is offered in two places, Nova API and Glance V2
>>> API. That seems like it would fragment adoption rather than unify it.
>>
>> My hope would be that proxies would be deprecated as new capabilities
>> moved in. Some of this will be driven by application developers too,
>> though. We’re looking at an interoperability standard, which has a
>> natural tension between backwards compatibility and new features.
>
> Yeah. The proxies are also less efficient, because they have to bounce
> through two places.

The social theory on the proxies is also that they are fully frozen. So
assuming there would be new good features that people want / need from
projects, they'll naturally migrate to newer direct APIs. More carrot
than stick.

Just pulling APIs that work for people is a good way to make people mad
at you. But giving a gentle nudge because we're never adding new
goodness here is fine.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague