[openstack-dev] [all] -1 due to line length violation in commit messages

Ihar Hrachyshka ihrachys at redhat.com
Fri Sep 25 14:44:59 UTC 2015

Hi all,

releases are approaching, so it’s the right time to start some bike shedding on the mailing list.

Recently I got pointed out several times [1][2] that I violate our commit message requirement [3] for the message lines that says: "Subsequent lines should be wrapped at 72 characters.”

I agree that very long commit message lines can be bad, f.e. if they are 200+ chars. But <= 79 chars?.. Don’t think so. Especially since we have 79 chars limit for the code.

We had a check for the line lengths in openstack-dev/hacking before but it was killed [4] as per openstack-dev@ discussion [5].

I believe commit message lines of <=80 chars are absolutely fine and should not get -1 treatment. I propose to raise the limit for the guideline on wiki accordingly.

Comments?

[1]: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/224728/6//COMMIT_MSG
[2]: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/227319/2//COMMIT_MSG
[3]: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/GitCommitMessages#Summary_of_Git_commit_message_structure