[openstack-dev] [release][all] Release help needed - we are incompatible with ourselves

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Mon Sep 21 19:51:02 UTC 2015

Constraint updates are still failing: you can see this on
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/221157/ or more generally
https://review.openstack.org/#/q/status:open+project:openstack/requirements+branch:master+topic:openstack/requirements/constraints,n,z

Now, the constraints system is *doing its job* - its made the presence
of an incompatible thing not-a-firedrill. However, we need to do our
part of the job too: we need to fix the incompatibility that exists so
that we can roll forward and start using the new releases that are
being made.

Right now the release team are picking individual components and
proposing them as merges to move things forward, but its fairly
fundamentally unsafe to cut the full liberty release while there is a
known incompatibility bug out there.

So - I'm manually ringing the fire-drill alarm now: we need to get
this fixed so that the released liberty is actually compatible with
the entire ecosystem at time of release.

What issues are there ?

Firstly,
2015-09-21 06:24:00.911 | + openstack --os-token
3dc712d5120b436ebb7d554405b7c15f --os-url http://127.0.0.1:9292 image
create cirros-0.3.4-x86_64-uec --public --container-format ami
--disk-format ami
2015-09-21 06:24:01.396 | openstack: 'image' is not an openstack
command. See 'openstack --help'.

(See the dvsm run from review 221157 -
http://logs.openstack.org/57/221157/12/check/gate-tempest-dsvm-full/17941bd/logs/devstacklog.txt.gz#_2015-09-21_06_24_00_911
)

Secondly, its likely that once thats fixed there will be more things to unwind.

What will help most is if a few folk familiar with devstack can pull
down review 221157 and do a binary search on the changes in it to
determine which ones are safe and which ones trigger the breakage:
then we can at least land all the safe ones at once and zero in on the
incompatibility - and get it addressed.

To repeat: this is effectively a release blocker IMO, and the release
is happening - well, $now.

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>