[openstack-dev] [all][elections] PTL nomination period is now over

Kashyap Chamarthy kchamart at redhat.com
Mon Sep 21 08:27:10 UTC 2015

On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 05:09:04PM -0400, Nikhil Komawar wrote:

[. . .]

> > I think this is all superfluous however and we should simply encourage
> > people to not wait until the last minute. Waiting to see who is
> > running/what the field looks like isn't as important as standing up
> > and saying you're interested in running.
>
> I like that you have used the word encourage however, will have to
> disagree here. Life in general can't permit that to everyone -- there
> can be any important things pop up at unexpected time, someone on
> vacation and getting late to come back etc. And on top of that people
> can get caught up particularly at this week.  The time-line for
> proposals is a good idea seems a good idea in general.

Morgan is absolutely right.

The risk of unexpected things cropping up is always there.  If one has
the _intention_ to run for PTL, then they should make it a priority to
send the nomination as early as possible once timelines are announced
(more so if you're an incumbent PTL), rather than waiting for the last
moment.

Also, don't miss the unambiguously clear comment from Matt Riedemann:

    "If running for PTL is something you had in mind to begin with, you
    should probably be looking forward to when the elections start and
    get your ducks in a row.  Part of being PTL, a large part I'd think,
    is the ability to organize and manage things. If you're waiting
    until the 11th hour to do this, I wouldn't have much sympathy."

--
/kashyap