[openstack-dev] [magnum] Associating patches with bugs/bps (Please don't hurt me)

Assaf Muller amuller at redhat.com
Thu Sep 17 20:53:25 UTC 2015

On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 4:09 PM, Jeff Peeler <jpeeler at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 3:28 PM, Fox, Kevin M <Kevin.Fox at pnnl.gov> wrote:
>
>> I agree. Lots of projects have this issue. I submitted a bug fix once
>> that literally was 3 characters long, and it took:
>> A short commit message, a long commit message, and a full bug report
>> being filed and cross linked. The amount of time writing it up was orders
>> of magnitude longer then the actual fix.
>>
>> Seems a bit much...
>>
>> Looking at this review, I'd go a step farther and argue that code
>> cleanups like this one should be really really easy to get through. No one
>> likes to do them, so we should be encouraging folks that actually do it.
>> Not pile up roadblocks.
>

> It is indeed frustrating. I've had a few similar reviews (in other
> projects - hopefully it's okay I comment here) as well. Honestly, I think
> if a given team is willing to draw the line as for what is permissible to
> commit without bug creation, then they should be permitted that freedom.
>
> However, that said, I'm sure somebody is going to point out that come
> release time having the list of bugs fixed in a given release is handy,
> spelling errors included.

We've had the same debate in Neutron and we relaxed the rules. We don't
require bugs for trivial changes. In fact, my argument has always been:
Come release
time, when we say that the Neutron community fixed so and so bugs, we would
be lying if we were to include fixing spelling issues in comments. That's
not a bug.