[openstack-dev] [magnum] Associating patches with bugs/bps (Please don't hurt me)

Jeff Peeler jpeeler at redhat.com
Thu Sep 17 20:09:02 UTC 2015

On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 3:28 PM, Fox, Kevin M <Kevin.Fox at pnnl.gov> wrote:

> I agree. Lots of projects have this issue. I submitted a bug fix once that
> literally was 3 characters long, and it took:
> A short commit message, a long commit message, and a full bug report being
> filed and cross linked. The amount of time writing it up was orders of
> magnitude longer then the actual fix.
>
> Seems a bit much...
>
> Looking at this review, I'd go a step farther and argue that code cleanups
> like this one should be really really easy to get through. No one likes to
> do them, so we should be encouraging folks that actually do it. Not pile up
> roadblocks.

It is indeed frustrating. I've had a few similar reviews (in other projects
- hopefully it's okay I comment here) as well. Honestly, I think if a given
team is willing to draw the line as for what is permissible to commit
without bug creation, then they should be permitted that freedom.

However, that said, I'm sure somebody is going to point out that come
release time having the list of bugs fixed in a given release is handy,
spelling errors included.