[openstack-dev] Pycharm License for OpenStack developers

Andrew Melton andrew.melton at RACKSPACE.COM
Thu Sep 17 17:10:14 UTC 2015

Hey Devs,

I'm the guy who's maintained our JetBrains licenses for the past couple of years. License philosophy aside, the IDE you choose to use is entirely up to you. I'm currently waiting to hear back from JetBrains on the actual license. From the sound of it, the opensource license hasn't changed much since last year. Originally we had an unlimited license, which made user management easier. This year it sounds like we will still have a bulk license, they just want an estimation for an initial user count limit, which I've given them. They've assured me that we will be able to increase the user limit on the license if we hit it.

Once I have the new license, I'll send out an email to the list letting everyone know. Please hold off on license requests until then. Unless JetBrains demands more strict control, I'll handle everything like I always have. I'll just need your launchpad-id to confirm you're actually a contributor, then I'll send the license your way.

--Andrew

________________________________
From: John Griffith <john.griffith8 at gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, September 16, 2015 3:06 PM
To: OpenStack Development Mailing List (not for usage questions)
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] Pycharm License for OpenStack developers

On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 12:35 PM, Morgan Fainberg <morgan.fainberg at gmail.com<mailto:morgan.fainberg at gmail.com>> wrote:

On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 11:12 AM, Joshua Harlow <harlowja at outlook.com<mailto:harlowja at outlook.com>> wrote:
Anyone know about the impact of:

- https://mmilinkov.wordpress.com/2015/09/04/jetbrains-lockin-we-told-you-so/

- http://blog.jetbrains.com/blog/2015/09/03/introducing-jetbrains-toolbox/

I'm pretty sure a lot of openstack-devs are using pycharms, and wonder what this change will mean for those devs?

I have historically purchased my own license (because I believed in supporting the companies that produce the tools, even though there was a oss-project license that I didn't need to pay for).
?Total tangent, but props on purchasing a license to support something you use on a regular basis!
?

I am evaluating if I wish to continue with jetbrains based on this change or not. They have said they are evaluating the feedback - I'm willing to see what the end result will be.

There are other IDE options out there for python and I may consider those. I haven't run out my license, I am not sure this is enough to change my POV that pycharm is the best option at the moment for my workflow. It was for other software I historically purchased (business suites/photo editing) but those filled a different space.

How much impact will this make to those pure upstream developers? Very little unless jetbrains ceases the opensource project license.

Just my $0.02.

--Morgan