[openstack-dev] [all][elections] PTL nomination period is now over

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Thu Sep 17 15:40:17 UTC 2015

On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 10:26 AM, Monty Taylor <mordred at inaugust.com> wrote:

> On 09/17/2015 04:50 PM, Anita Kuno wrote:

>>> This is devil's advocate, but why does a project technically need a PTL?
>>>   Just so that there can be a contact point for cross-project things,
>>> i.e. a lightning rod?  There are projects that do a lot of group
>>> leadership/delegation/etc, so it doesn't seem that a PTL is technically
>>> required in all cases.
>>>

>> I think that is a great question for the TC to consider when they
>> evaluate options for action with these projects.
>>
>> The election officials are fulfilling their obligation according to the
>> resolution:
>>
>> http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/governance/tree/resolutions/20141128-elections-process-for-leaderless-programs.rst
>>
>> If you read the verb there the verb is "can" not "must", I choose the
>> verb "can" on purpose for the resolution when I wrote it. The TC has the
>> option to select an appointee. The TC can do other things as well,
>> should the TC choose.
>>

> I agree- and this is a great example of places where human judgement is
> better than rules.
>
> For instance - one of the projects had a nominee but it missed the
> deadline, so that's probably an easy on.

Honestly I did the "Thursday" alignment math in my head and thought of it
in my non-futuristic timezone. Plus I have a Thursday release mentality
thanks to Theirry's years of excellent release management. :)

Plus, I further confused a couple of candidates when encouraging candidacy
posts, so I apologize for that! I am trying to get ahead of what we'll have
to do on the TC anyway.

I'd like to apply some common sense here and if this many candidates on
both sides of the globe got confused, we can still take that into
consideration when taking next steps.

> For one of the projects it had been looking dead for a while, so this is
> the final nail in the coffin from my POV

I'm not sure we've defined a coffin really, more of an attic/shelving
system. :)

I'll definitely take some time to follow up with individuals in this
deadline confusion system when we take next steps on the TC.

Anne

> For the other three - I know they're still active projects with people
> interested in them, so sorting them out will be fun!

Anne Gentle
Rackspace
Principal Engineer
www.justwriteclick.com