[openstack-dev] [all][elections] PTL nomination period is now over

Anita Kuno anteaya at anteaya.info
Thu Sep 17 14:50:12 UTC 2015

On 09/17/2015 08:22 AM, Matt Riedemann wrote:

> On 9/17/2015 8:25 AM, Tristan Cacqueray wrote:
>> PTL Nomination is now over. The official candidate list is available on
>> the wiki[0].
>>
>> There are 5 projects without candidates, so according to this
>> resolution[1], the TC we'll have to appoint a new PTL for Barbican,
>> MagnetoDB, Magnum, Murano and Security
>
> This is devil's advocate, but why does a project technically need a PTL?
>  Just so that there can be a contact point for cross-project things,
> i.e. a lightning rod?  There are projects that do a lot of group
> leadership/delegation/etc, so it doesn't seem that a PTL is technically
> required in all cases.

I think that is a great question for the TC to consider when they
evaluate options for action with these projects.

The election officials are fulfilling their obligation according to the
resolution:
http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/governance/tree/resolutions/20141128-elections-process-for-leaderless-programs.rst

If you read the verb there the verb is "can" not "must", I choose the
verb "can" on purpose for the resolution when I wrote it. The TC has the
option to select an appointee. The TC can do other things as well,
should the TC choose.

Thanks,
Anita.