[openstack-dev] [glance] proposed priorities for Mitaka

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Tue Sep 15 15:00:25 UTC 2015

On 15/09/15 14:13 +0100, stuart.mclaren at hp.com wrote:

>>After having some conversations with folks at the Ops Midcycle a
>>few weeks ago, and observing some of the more recent email threads
>>related to glance, glance-store, the client, and the API, I spent
>>last week contacting a few of you individually to learn more about
>>some of the issues confronting the Glance team. I had some very
>>frank, but I think constructive, conversations with all of you about
>>the issues as you see them. As promised, this is the public email
>>thread to discuss what I found, and to see if we can agree on what
>>the Glance team should be focusing on going into the Mitaka summit
>>and development cycle and how the rest of the community can support
>>you in those efforts.
>
>Doug, thanks for reaching out here.
>
>I've been looking into the existing task-based-upload that Doug mentions:
>can anyone clarify the following?
>
>On a default devstack install you can do this 'task' call:
>
>http://paste.openstack.org/show/462919
>
>as an alternative to the traditional image upload (the bytes are streamed
>from the URL).
>
>It's not clear to me if this is just an interesting example of the kind
>of operator specific thing you can configure tasks to do, or a real
>attempt to define an alternative way to upload images.

It's the old copy-from moved to a task to allow for other tasks to be
executed before the image data is stored. This effort was called "new
upload workflow"[0], which intended to allow for the above but also to
avoid blocking webheads on image download.

That said, and as mentioned in other replies on this thread, I think
this is an API that would be useful for OPs not just for importing
images but also execute other "tasks". As far as the public API goes,
I don't think we should recommend it nor make it public. At least not
in its current state.

[0] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Glance-new-upload-workflow

Flavio

--