[openstack-dev] Call for mentors Outreachy Dec-March 2016

Victoria Martínez de la Cruz victoria at vmartinezdelacruz.com
Mon Sep 14 16:12:11 UTC 2015

Hi everyone,

OpenStack will join next round of the Outreachy internships and we need you
help: we are looking for full-time contributors willing to share some of
their time, knowledge and experience to make our open-source organization
more diverse and have the opportunity to meet new talents.

*What is Outreachy*

Outreachy helps people from groups underrepresented in free and open source
software get involved. Read more in https://www.gnome.org/outreachy/.

OpenStack has been participating in this internships since Jan-Apr 2013,
and we have had really good results: we got more full-time contributors, we
got lots of good quality contributions, interns had the opportunity to give
a great step in their professional careers and also it has been an
enriching experience for everyone involved with the internship. More
information about OpenStack participation in Outreachy can be find in
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Outreachy.

*Applications open next September 22nd, and the deadline for applications
is October 27th. *https://wiki.gnome.org/Outreachy/2015/DecemberMarch

*TLDR*

Contributors interested on mentoring in Outreachy, please feel free to ask
any question and ask for further directions here or in #openstack-opw in
Freenode.

Try to find and propose a task for the next couple of months for your
mentee. The task should be able to be finished on three months. Add this
idea in this wiki https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Internship_ideas.

Please join #openstack-opw as well, to welcome applicants and help them
with their setups.

Another way to get in touch is through the internships mailing list,
http://lists.openstack.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/openstack-internships.

*Mentors*

*Time requirements*

Being a mentor shouldn't take a lot of time from your working week. Mentors
from previous rounds organized differently: you can schedule a weekly
meeting to catch up with your mentee latest work, questions and next steps;
some other prefer having a daily short meeting; you choose how to organize
your agenda.

Consider that different mentees will need different guidance, but we aim to
work with proactive and independent people. This qualities are defined
during the application process, so make sure to participate actively in
this so you make sure you get a mentee you can work with.

*Tasks*

Mentors are supposed to act as a channel for mentees with the rest of the
community. You should be able to help them understand the community
workflow (tools, milestones), introduce them to the team you are working
with (so they also have other people to learn from), help them to gain
confidence and participate of the weekly meetings.

You are not supposed to teach them the basics (say, we cannot have people
that cannot program in Python), but you should be able to point them in the
right direction with the tools we use in the community and they should be
able to learn at their own pace.

*Mentees*

*Time requirements*

It is a full-time internship, so mentees are expected to work 40 hours per
week in the assigned project.

*Tasks*

Mentees are supposed to devote their time on learning about the community,
getting familiar with the tools used to contribute to OpenStack,
understanding the basics of the code base of the project they are working
on and finishing the assigned task before the internship ends. They are
also encouraged to help with bug triaging, bug fixing and code reviewing.
All this should be shared in a personal blog mentees have to set up when
they start with their internships.

Thanks all,

Victoria