[openstack-dev] [all][TC] 'team:danger-not-diverse tag' and my concerns

Jim Meyer jim at geekdaily.org
Fri Sep 11 21:30:35 UTC 2015

On Sep 11, 2015, at 12:45 PM, Shamail Tahir <itzshamail at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 3:26 PM, Joshua Harlow <harlowja at outlook.com <mailto:harlowja at outlook.com>> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was reading over the TC IRC logs for this week (my weekly reading) and I just wanted to let my thoughts and comments be known on:
>
> http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/tc/2015/tc.2015-09-08-20.01.log.html#l-309 <http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/tc/2015/tc.2015-09-08-20.01.log.html#l-309>
>
> I feel it's very important to send a positive note for new/upcoming projects and libraries... (and for everyone to remember that most projects do start off with a small set of backers). So I just wanted to try to ensure that we send a positive note with any tag like this that gets created and applied and that we all (especially the TC) really really considers the negative connotations of applying that tag to a project (it may effectively ~kill~ that project).
>
> I would really appreciate that instead of just applying this tag (or other similarly named tag to projects) that instead the TC try to actually help out projects with those potential tags in the first place (say perhaps by actively listing projects that may need more contributors from a variety of companies on the openstack blog under say a 'HELP WANTED' page or something). I'd much rather have that vs. any said tags, because the latter actually tries to help projects, vs just stamping them with a 'you are bad, figure out how to fix yourself, because you are not diverse' tag.
>
> I believe it is the TC job (in part) to help make the community better, and not via tags like this that IMHO actually make it worse; I really hope that folks on the TC can look back at their own projects they may have created and ask how would their own project have turned out if they were stamped with a similar tag…

First, strongly agree:

Tags should be positive attributes or encouragement, not negative or discouraging. I think they should also be as objectively true as possible. Which Monty Taylor said later[1] in the discussion and Jay Pipes reiterated[2].

> I agree with Josh and, furthermore, maybe a similar "warning" could be implicitly made by helping the community understand why the "diverse-affiliation" tag matters.  If we (through education on tags in general) stated that the reason diverse-affiliation matters, amongst other things, is because it shows that the project can potentially survive a single contributor changing their involvement then wouldn't that achieve the same purpose of showing stability/mindshare/collaboration for projects with diverse-affiliation tag (versus those that don't have it) and make them more "preferred" in a sense?

I think I agree with others, most notably Doug Hellman[3] in the TC discussion; we need a marker of the other end of the spectrum. The absence of information is only significant if you know what’s missing and it’s importance.

Separately, I agree that more education around tags and their importance is needed.

I understand the concern is that we want to highlight the need for diversity, and I believe that instead of “danger-not-diverse” we’d be better served by “increase-diversity” or “needs-diversity” as the other end of the spectrum from “diverse-affiliation.” And I’ll go rant on the review now[4]. =]

—j

[1] http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/tc/2015/tc.2015-09-08-20.01.log.html#l-378 <http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/tc/2015/tc.2015-09-08-20.01.log.html#l-378>
[2] http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/tc/2015/tc.2015-09-08-20.01.log.html#l-422 <http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/tc/2015/tc.2015-09-08-20.01.log.html#l-422>
[3] http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/tc/2015/tc.2015-09-08-20.01.log.html#l-330 <http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/tc/2015/tc.2015-09-08-20.01.log.html#l-330>