[openstack-dev] [Glance] python-glanceclient 1.0.x back compat for v2 proposal.

Nikhil Komawar nik.komawar at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 21:16:15 UTC 2015

The client does support v1 just not by default on the CLI. Users will
need to specify --os-image-api-version as 1 to be able to use v1. The
change in 1.x.x series is that the default has moved from v1 to v2 and
the patch proposes mocking v2 CLI into v1 like CLI calls and that can be
cumbersome.

I may not be reading your comment completely so please elaborate if the
above doesn't explain.

On 9/10/15 4:08 PM, Robert Collins wrote:
> On 11 September 2015 at 07:48, Nikhil Komawar <nik.komawar at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,

>> 3. python-glanceclient upgrades need to be done in staged manner and by
>> cross-checking the rel-notes or preferably commit messages if your
>> deployment is fragile to upgrades. A CI/CD pipeline shouldn't need such
>> back compat changes for long period of time.
> I wanted to ask more about this one. This is AIUI opposite to the
> advice we've previously given well, everyone. My understanding was
> that for all clients, all versions of the client work with all
> versions of OpenStack that are currently upstream supported, always.
>
> That suggests that installing the current version is always safe! Has
> that changed? What should users that use many different clouds do now?
>
> Cheers,
> Rob

Nikhil