[openstack-dev] [gate] broken by pyeclib 1.0.9 release

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Thu Sep 10 19:45:19 UTC 2015

On 11 September 2015 at 07:23, Robert Collins <robertc at robertcollins.net> wrote:
> Note that master is pinned:
>
> commit aca1a74909d7a2841cd9805b7f57c867a1f74b73
> Author: Tushar Gohad <tushar.gohad at intel.com>
> Date:   Tue Aug 18 07:55:18 2015 +0000
>
>     Restrict PyECLib version to 1.0.7
>
>     v1.0.9 rev of PyECLib replaces Jerasure with a native EC
>     implementation (liberasurecode_rs_vand) as the default
>     EC scheme.  Going forward, Jerasure will not be bundled
>     with PyPI version of PyECLib as it used to be, until
>     v1.0.7.
>
>     This is an interim change to Global/Swift requirements
>     until we get v1.0.9 PyECLib released and included in
>     global-requirements and ready patches that change Swift
>     default ec_type (for doc, config samples and unit tests)
>     from "jerasure_rs_vand" to "liberasurecode_rs_vand."
>
>     Without this change, Swift unit tests will break at gate
>     as soon as PyECLib v1.0.9 lands on PyPI
>
>     * Swift is the only user of PyECLib at the moment
>
>     Change-Id: I52180355b95679cbcddd497bbdd9be8e7167a3c7
>

> But it appears a matching change was not done to j/k - and the pin
> hasn't been removed from master.

I'm going to propose another manual review rule I think: we should not
permit lower releases to use higher versions of libraries -
approximately noone tests downgrades of their thing [and while it only
matters for packages with weird installs / state management things,
its a glaring hole in our reliability story].

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>
Distinguished Technologist