[openstack-dev] [Tacker][NFV] Proposal for experimental features

Sridhar Ramaswamy srics.r at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 19:07:27 UTC 2015

Folks:

We are gathering momentum in our activities towards building a VNFM / NFVO
in OpenStack Tacker project [1]. As discussed in the last week's irc
meeting [2], I'd like to propose few "experimental features" within Tacker.

It is well know practice to use experimental tag to introduce bleeding edge
features in openstack. We realize some of these experimental features have
various unknowns - sometimes in architectural clarity (e.g. specific roles
of NFVO subcomponents) and other times in specific downstream dependency
(like ODL-SFC support). The experimental feature tag will allow a safe
place to iterate in these areas, perhaps fail fast, to eventually reach our
goal. The experimental feature will be marked as such in the tacker docs
(coming soon). Once an experimental feature's usage is vetted the
"experimental" tag will be removed.

The following two features are identified as the initial candidates,

1) VNF Forwarding Graph using SFC API

    SFC efforts introduced by Tim Rozet will form the basis of this track.
The wider Tacker team can pitch in to carry this forward into a functional
VNF Forwarding Graph feature.

2) Basic NSD support

     Basic Network Service Descriptor (NSD) support to instantiate a
sequence of VNFs (described in VNFD). When (1) above becomes available this
track can build on a combined NSD + VNFFD for a fully orchestrated network
service chain.

As always comments and inputs are welcome.

- Sridhar

[1]  <https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Tacker>
<https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Tacker>
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Tacker