[openstack-dev] [all] Something about being a PTL

Dolph Mathews dolph.mathews at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 17:27:23 UTC 2015

+1 Fantastically well said. I'd encourage all current and potential PTLs to
take these words to heart.

> I believe it's safe enough to say that you'll have to spend 60% to 70% of
your time upstream, assuming the porject is a busy one.

The busier the project, the closer to 100% this becomes. For keystone, I
would expect nothing less than 100%. It's truly a full time job.

Also note that there is no mention of writing code! :( Your job is to serve
the community, and writing code is simply not the most efficient way to
accomplish that.

And as Michael Krotscheck mentioned, if you believe you'd be a great PTL
but your employer would not fully support the time commitment, then for
both the health of OpenStack and your success, I'd encourage you to change
employers (look for the employers who have a history of supporting multiple
PTLs that aren't quickly burning out).