[openstack-dev] [all] Base feature deprecation policy

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Sep 8 18:24:24 UTC 2015

On 2015-09-08 13:32:58 -0400 (-0400), Ben Swartzlander wrote:
[...]
> It makes sense for the community to define LTS releases and coordinate
> making sure all the relevant projects are mutually compatible at that
> release point.
[...]

This seems premature. The most recent stable branch to reach EOL
(icehouse) made it just past 14 months before we had to give up
because not enough effort was being expended to keep it working and
testable. As a community we've so far struggled to maintain stable
branches as much as one year past release. While there are some
exciting improvements on the way to our requirements standardization
which could prove to help extend this, I really want to see us
demonstrate that we can maintain a release longer before we make
such a long-term commitment to downstream consumers.
--
Jeremy Stanley