[openstack-dev] [Ansible][Infra] Moving ansible roles into big tent?

Kevin Carter kevin.carter at RACKSPACE.COM
Tue Sep 8 16:45:21 UTC 2015

Hi Paul,

We'd love to collaborate on improving openstack-ansible and getting our OpenStack roles into the general big tent and out of our monolithic repository. We have a proposal in review for moving our roles out of our main repository and into separate repositories [0] making openstack-ansible consume the roles through the use of an Ansible Galaxy interface. We've been holding off on this effort until os-ansible-deployment is moved into the OpenStack namespace which should be happening sometime on September 11 [1][2]. With that, I'd say join us in the #openstack-ansible channel if you have any questions on the os-ansible-deployment project in general and check out our twice weekly meetings [3]. Lastly, many of the core members / deployers of the project will be at the summit and if you're interested / will be in Tokyo we can schedule some time to work out a path to convergence.

Look forward to talking to you and others about this more soon.

--

[0] - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/213779
[1] - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/200730
[2] - https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/InfraTeamMeeting#Upcoming_Project_Renames
[3] - https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/openstack-ansible

Kevin Carter
IRC: cloudnull

From: Paul Belanger <pabelanger at redhat.com>
Sent: Tuesday, September 8, 2015 9:57 AM
To: openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org
Subject: [openstack-dev] [Ansible][Infra] Moving ansible roles into big tent?

Greetings,

I wanted to start a discussion about the future of ansible / ansible roles in
OpenStack. Over the last week or so I've started down the ansible path, starting
my first ansible role; I've started with ansible-role-nodepool[1].

My initial question is simple, now that big tent is upon us, I would like
some way to include ansible roles into the opentack git workflow.  I first
thought the role might live under openstack-infra however I am not sure that
is the right place.  My reason is, -infra tents to include modules they
currently run under the -infra namespace, and I don't want to start the effort
to convince people to migrate.

Another thought might be to reach out to the os-ansible-deployment team and ask
how they see roles in OpenStack moving foward (mostly the reason for this
email).

Either way, I would be interested in feedback on moving forward on this. Using
travis-ci and github works but OpenStack workflow is much better.

[1] https://github.com/pabelanger/ansible-role-nodepool