[openstack-dev] OpenStack support for Amazon Concepts - was Re: cloud-init IPv6 support

Sean M. Collins sean at coreitpro.com
Mon Sep 7 02:34:54 UTC 2015

On Sun, Sep 06, 2015 at 04:25:43PM EDT, Kevin Benton wrote:
> So it's been pointed out that http://169.254.169.254/openstack is completed
> OpenStack invented. I don't quite understand how that's not violating the
> contract you said we have with end users about EC2 compatibility under the
> restriction of 'no new stuff'.

I think that is a violation. I don't think that allows us to make more
changes, just because we've broken the contract once, so a second
infraction is less significant.

> If we added an IPv6 endpoint that the metadata service listens on, it would
> just be another place that non cloud-init clients don't know how to talk
> to. It's not going to break our compatibility with any clients that connect
> to the IPv4 address.

No, but if Amazon were to make a decision about how to implement IPv6 in
EC2 and how to make the Metadata API service work with IPv6 we'd be
supporting two implementations - the one we came up with and one for
supporting the way Amazon implemented it.

--
Sean M. Collins