[openstack-dev] [nova] [docs] Are cells still 'experimental'?

Andrew Laski andrew at lascii.com
Thu Sep 3 13:01:15 UTC 2015

On 09/03/15 at 04:33pm, Michael Still wrote:
>I think they should not be marked experimental. For better or for worse,
>there are multiple sites deployed, and we will support them if something
>goes wrong.

I don't recall all of the criteria that went into the decision to mark
them experimental, but a large factor was the lack of CI testing.  There
is now a gating CI job so this no longer holds.  There is still the
issue of missing features like security groups and host aggregates.  And
a cells deployment does not benefit from all of the guarantees that we
make around upgrades.  It is not possible to run cells from multiple
releases in the same deployment without issue.

So while experimental may be the wrong description for cells it is
important to call out the fact that they aren't up to the level of a non
cells deployment in many ways.

>That said, I wouldn't be encouraging new deployments of cells v1 at this
>point.

Agreed.