[openstack-dev] [ironic] 100% failure in pxe_ssh job

Jim Rollenhagen jim at jimrollenhagen.com
Tue Sep 1 14:35:38 UTC 2015

On Tue, Sep 01, 2015 at 07:17:56AM -0400, Sean Dague wrote:
> The current failure rate for the ironic pxe_ssh job is 100% -
> http://graphite.openstack.org/render/?from=-200hours&height=500&until=now&width=800&bgcolor=ffffff&fgcolor=000000&yMax=100&yMin=0&target=color(alias(movingAverage(asPercent(stats.zuul.pipeline.check.job.gate-tempest-dsvm-ironic-pxe_ssh.FAILURE,sum(stats.zuul.pipeline.check.job.gate-tempest-dsvm-ironic-pxe_ssh.{SUCCESS,FAILURE})),%2712hours%27),%20%27gate-tempest-dsvm-ironic-pxe_ssh%27),%27orange%27)
>
> The reason is something wrong with disk image builder and upstream ubuntu.
>
> Which raises a much more pressing issue, why is an ironic integration
> job building, from scratch a disk image builder image on every go (and
> connecting to the internet to do it)? Especially as this job sits on a
> bunch of other projects beyond ironic. Architecturally this is not sound
> enough to be a voting job.
>
> I'm proposing we make it non-voting immediately, and until it's redone
> so it's no long dependent on pulling images directly from upstream, we
> don't let it be voting.

Quick update here after talking with Sean in IRC:

* pxe_ssh job has been made non-voting.

* We're switching to pxe_ipa job for Nova. This job uses a prebuilt
  ironic-python-agent ramdisk from tarballs.o.o, and is really what we
  want anyway since we're deprecating the bash ramdisk. This will remain
  non-voting.

* mtreinish and I are going to work on getting the full tempest job
  working for the Ironic driver, as has been the plan basically forever.
  Would love some extra hands if anyone is interested. :)

// jim