[openstack-dev] [Nova][Manila] Nova API to attach/detach file volume/share

Sage Weil sage at newdream.net
Tue Oct 27 05:13:12 UTC 2015

On Mon, 26 Oct 2015, Ben Swartzlander wrote:
> On 10/25/2015 01:25 PM, Sage Weil wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > We're currently working on an improved mechanism for plumbing file access
> > into a VM or container and in most cases some interaction and
> > configuration on the hypervisor/host is required to make it happen.  The
> > goal is to create something that generalizes beyond the current NFS and
> > CIFS-only assumptions that are baked into the current crop of Manila
> > drivers.
> >
> > The current target is to use the new VSOCK zero-configuration sockets,
> > which I will be talking about at the summit on Wednesday:
> >
> >   - mount distributed fs on host, export via knfsd to guest over VSOCK
> >   - run Ganesha with distributed fs FSAL on host, export to guest over VSOCK
>
> NFS-over-vsock is a VERY interesting idea. I understood that it wasn't
> implemented yet in Linux... If that's no longer true then I'm excited to find
> a way to make it work.

There is a lot of enabling work, but Stefan Hajnoczi has patches in flight
for qemu and the Linux NFS client+server, and Matt Benjamin is adding
Ganesha support and will work on getting the needed nfs-utils changes in
place.  It'll take a bit for this all to land upstream and in supported
distros, but we think the overall stack in very promising!

The challenge, I suspect, will be getting Manila and Nova to orchestrate
it properly...

If you're at the summit, I'll be talking a bit about this on Wednesday at
4:40 (http://sched.co/4A03).

sage