[openstack-dev] [Fuel] Changing APIs and API versioning

Igor Kalnitsky ikalnitsky at mirantis.com
Fri Oct 23 09:36:26 UTC 2015

Roman, Vitaly,

You're both saying right things, and you guys bring a sore topic up again.

The thing is that Nailgun's API isn't the best one.. but we're trying
to improve it step-by-step, from release to release. We have so many
things to reconsider and to fix that it'd require a huge effort to
make backward compatible changes and support it. So we decided ignore
backward compatibility for clients for awhile and consider our API as
unstable.

I agree with Roman that such changes must not be made secretly, and we
should at least announce about them. Moreover, every core must think
about consequences before approving them.

So I propose to do the following things when backward incompatible
change to API is required:

* Announce this change in openstack-dev ML.
* Wait 1 week before approving it, so anyone can prepare.
* Change author has to work with QA in order make sure they are
prepared for this change.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Igor