[openstack-dev] [Heat][Rant] About blank rechecks

Jordan Pittier jordan.pittier at scality.com
Thu Oct 22 15:28:55 UTC 2015

On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 9:58 AM, Thomas Herve <therve at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> You've seen me complain about people doing blank rechecks in Gerrit on
> IRC, and it seems it had little to no effect. So here I am trying to spread
> the word here. I'll try to stay calm.
>
> I'm seeing way too many rechecks on heat patches. It's not epidemic, but
> it's still enough to make me sad.
>
> First, it makes me sad as a developer. I don't know if it's just me, but
> one of the reason I code is curiosity, and debugging a gate failure is a
> great way to learn, pierce through the layers, and improve the situation.
>
> It then makes me sad as a team member. By doing a recheck you're basically
> implying that you don't care about the failure, and surely someone will
> care at some point. Except, the information will be lost, and we may have
> 100 builds before that happen again, when a release already happened, and
> we have to backport it. Working early means working less.
>
> And finally, it makes me sad for the infra team. Doing a recheck is
> disrespecting all the work they're doing to create a reliable environment
> to run our tests. Sure, sometimes the environment is the reason the failure
> happens, but then it's even more important to give feedback about it. They
> provide a great deal of logs, we can use logstach to find patterns, the
> least we can do is trying. We're also using resources that other projects
> could be using. As much as we'd like to believe it, the cloud doesn't have
> free infinite resources.
>
> Recently, I've seen many cases where rechecks were made whereas:
> 1) The heat branch was broken. Generally for some external reason (a
> dependency updated), doing a recheck is a pure waste of resources until
> that failure is fixed. Most of the time, we say something on IRC when it's
> the case. We also try to open a bug, so looking at launchpad can show
> something.
> 2) THE PATCH WAS ACTUALLY BROKEN. And there I'm not sad anymore I'm
> particularly angry. It basically means that you didn't look at all at the
> build results, and just mindlessly typed rechecks hoping that some fairy
> will fix your broken code. Frankly, that makes want to go on a -2 rampage.
> ESPECIALLY where a core is doing it.
>
> To close, I'll try to provide a solution. I know we all have our agenda,
> debugging gate failures takes some time that you may not have, and
> obviously "my patch is fine it's not my fault" (who cares, that's what
> being in a team means). Still, I'd like everyone to look at the test
> failures, look if the patch is not the problem, and if not open a bug [1]
> mentioning the test name, pasting the traceback in the description, and
> linking the build result. Then do recheck bug #xyz. That's it. It shouldn't
> take you more than 3 minutes, and at least we didn't lose the information.
>
> Thanks for reading that far and sorry for the length,
>

> [1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/heat/+filebug
>
> --
> Thomas

> [...]
I hear you and I have the exact same feeling on the projects I am involved
in.

<QA hat on>
Testing and our CI is the root of OpenStack's product quality, it deserves
care, attention, involvement from everybody.
</QA hat on>

I take the opportunity of this email to put a link to our logstash here
http://logstash.openstack.org/ and to our Elasticrecheck project here
http://status.openstack.org/elastic-recheck/ (I only learnt about this
tools a few month ago and I think they bring a lot of value)

Cheers,
Jordan