[openstack-dev] [Fuel] [Puppet] Potential critical issue, due Puppet mix stderr and stdout while execute commands

Matt Fischer matt at mattfischer.com
Thu Oct 22 14:59:52 UTC 2015

On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 12:52 AM, Sergey Vasilenko <svasilenko at mirantis.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 6:16 AM, Matt Fischer <matt at mattfischer.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I thought we had code in other places that split out stderr and only
>> logged it if there was an actual error but I cannot find the reference now.
>> I think that matches the original proposal. Not sure I like idea #3.
>

> Matthew, this topic not about SSL. ANY warnings, ANY output to stderr from
> CLI may corrupt work of providers from puppet-* modules for openstack
> components.
>
> IMHO it's a very serious bug, that potential affect openstack puppet
> modules.
>
> I see 3 way for fix it:
>
>    1. Long way. big patch to puppet core for add ability to collect
>    stderr and stdout separately. But most of existing puppet providers waits
>    that stderr and stdout was mixed when handle errors of execution (non-zero
>    return code). Such patch will broke backward compatibility, if will be
>    enabled by default.
>    2. Middle way. We should write code for redefine 'commands' method.
>    New commands should collect stderr and stdout separately, but if error
>    happens return stderr (with ability access to stdout too).
>    3. Short way. Modify existing providers to use json output instead
>    plain-text or csv. JSON output may be separated from any garbage (warnings)
>    slightly. I make this patch as example of this way:
>    https://review.openstack.org/#/c/238156/ . Anyway json more formalized
>    format for data exchange, than plain text.
>
> IMHO way #1 is a best solution, but not easy.

I must confess that I'm a bit confused about this. It wasn't a secret that
we're calling out to commands and parsing the output. It's been discussed
over and over on this list as recently as last week, so this has been a
known possible issue for quite a long time. In my original email I was
agreeing with you, so I'm not sure why we're arguing now. Anyway...

I think we need to split stderr and stdout and log stderr on errors, your
idea #2. Using json like openstack-client can do does not solve this
problem for us, you still can end up with a bunch of junk on stderr.

This would be a good quick discussion in Tokyo if you guys will be there.