[openstack-dev] [all][heat] Which repo to use in docs -- git.openstack.org or github.com?

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Oct 20 18:34:43 UTC 2015

On 2015-10-20 13:20:34 -0500 (-0500), Dolph Mathews wrote:
[...]
> +1 I would never direct anyone new straight to git.openstack.org because it
> makes a poor first impression relative to github.com. I assume that's the
> reason why we keep github.com as a mirror at all (?).

Directing someone to a proprietary/non-open service seems like a far
worse impression to me.

We did look into a mechanism to auto-render README pages on the fly
in cgit, but any reasonably trivial implementation with its filter
mechanism made it hard to get to the non-rendered version of the
document. Ultimately we determined that putting work into making it
easier to render and publish documentation was a far better use of
our time than trying to turn a code browser into a documentation
viewer.

So if the question is whether to point people at git.openstack.org
or github.com as a homepage for a project, my recommendation is:
neither. Link them to your published documentation (and make sure it
includes information on where to browse and clone your source
code!).
--
Jeremy Stanley