[openstack-dev] [infra][all] Reviews with a prio label?

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Oct 20 16:21:05 UTC 2015

On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 06:09:51PM +0200, Markus Zoeller wrote:
> In ML post [1] I wondered if it would be possible to introduce a new
> "prio" label in Gerrit which could help in focusing review efforts to
> increase the throughput. With this new post I'd like to discuss if we
> think this could be useful. For example, this would allow to create this
> query in Gerrit:
>
>     "status:open label:Prio=3"
>
> I was curious how this could look like in Gerrit, which resulted in the
> screenshots available at [2]. This would minimize the gap between the
> prio of the blueprints/bugs and their commit reviews.
>
> I'm mostly active in Nova, so here a short example of how we currently
> try to speed up the merges of trivial fixes:
>
> * contributor "A" spots a review which looks trivial
> * contributor "A" copies the review ID into an etherpad
> * core reviewer "B" reads the etherpad when possible
> * core reviewer "B" does a review too and eventually gives a +W
> * core reviewer "B" removes that review from the Etherpad when it merges
>
> This workflow is only necessary because Gerrit does not allow to
> categorize reviews, e.g. into a group of "trivial fixes".
>
> I noticed in my "mini poc" that it would be possible to set permissions
> to specific label values. Which allows us to have a "trivialfix" prio
> which can be set by everyone, but also a "high" prio which can be set
> by an automated entity which reuses the priority of the blueprint or
> bug report.
>
> Do you think this would speed things up? Or is this just nitpicking on
> an already good enough workflow?

What you're describing is really just a special-case of allowing
arbitrary user tagging of changes. If gerrit had a free-format
keyword tag facility that users could use & query, it'd open up many
possible options for improving our general workflow, and letting
users customize their own workflow.....

Regards,
Daniel