[openstack-dev] [oslo] Require documenting changes with versionadded and versionchanged

Davanum Srinivas davanum at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 10:23:49 UTC 2015

Victor,

I'd like to continue the fast paced oslo releases. Last fire drill showed,
a few projects that depended on internals of how things we implemented in
oslo libraries. Examples were oslo.policy switching to requests from
urllib3 and the oslo.utils how it deals with exceptions for example. These
are better caught early. We still have to get projects to honor the
contracts say in oslo.messaging (stop() needs to be called before wait())
etc as well. in spite of the many LOG messages over the last few months,
projects have not done so as well. IMHO, oslo already has a very early
freeze compared to other projects. So we should take the hit early in terms
of releasing and finding problems IMHO. yes, +1000 we have to be more
careful.

Yes, "major gate jobs using constraints file from openstack/requirements"
will help as well. So fyi, the travis jobs i set up for running a handful
of py27/py34 jobs of different projects against master of all oslo.*
libraries is green today (https://travis-ci.org/dims/). So we will have a
bunch of libraries released today. https://review.openstack.org/#/c/236770/.
Heads up :)

So Net, Oslo should continue to push out releases every late monday / early
tuesday (US eastern time). and i'd request all the Oslo cores to check
things out the end of previous week. So we can run all sorts of tests in
the weekend to make sure we don't break stuff.

Thanks,
Dims