[openstack-dev] [neutron][networking-ovn][l3] Add/delete router interface

Aihua Li aihuaedwardli at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 17 02:33:40 UTC 2015

>From your description, it seems the issue is still on the OVN side.  This does not justify changing the gating criterion.
If the gate is temporarily lifted and put in place later, that will push the burden of fixing to other contributor. == Aihua Edward Li ==

     On Friday, October 16, 2015 7:11 PM, Chandra Sekhar Vejendla <csvejend at us.ibm.com> wrote:

 Hello Everyone,

We are currently working on a patch set to add/delete router
interfaces in the OVN plugin. This patch was initially worked on by
Gal Sagie (https://review.openstack.org/#/c/206919/) and we took over
to take it completion.

There are bunch of gate tests that are failing as a result of this
patch and we have fixed a few of them. What remain to be fixed are the
following.

test_dhcp6_stateless_from_os
test_dualnet_multi_prefix_dhcpv6_stateless
test_dualnet_multi_prefix_slaac
test_multi_prefix_dhcpv6_stateless
test_multi_prefix_slaac
test_slaac_from_os

The reason for the failure of these tests has got to do with the way
OVN handles router interface. In openstack multiple subnets can be
added to a network and for each of these subnets the router interface
has to be explicitly configured. So for a given network there can be
multiple router interfaces. With the current NB schema in OVN there
can be only 1 router interface for a network.

Most of the above test cases try to add multiple subnets in a network,
configure router interfaces, do some connectivity tests and then clean
up. When a router interface is configured for the first subnet all the
DB tables are populated correctly, but when the router interface for
the second subnet is created, it results in deletion of the router
interface of the first subnet. So every time a router interface is
configured for a subnet, it results in deletion of the previous
subnets router interface, provided both the subnets belong to the same
network. The test cases fail when they are trying to remove the router
interface that has already been deleted from OVN NB.

We considered an option to see if we can have a router port in
"Logical Switch" table refer to multiple rows in the "Logical Router
Port" table, but the router port in the schema is defined as a hard
reference to uuid of the "Logical Router Port" table.

Given that we want to demo l3 in Tokyo, should we consider disabling
these tests until we figure out how to fix the issue ? Should i start
a separate thread on ovs-dev to follow up on the issue?

Thanks,
Chandra