[openstack-dev] [Nova] Host maintenance mode proposal.

Tang Chen tangchen at cn.fujitsu.com
Thu Oct 15 09:39:22 UTC 2015

On 10/15/2015 05:23 PM, John Garbutt wrote:
> On 15 October 2015 at 10:08, Tang Chen <tangchen at cn.fujitsu.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I tried to implement a common host maintenance mode handling
>> in nova compute.
>>
>> BP: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/host-maintenance-mode
>> spec: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/228689/
>> patches: https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bp/host-maintenance-mode,n,z
>>
>> But according to John (johnthetubaguy), host maintenance mode is
>> a functionality we are going to remove. So would anybody give me
>> some advice if I want to go on with this work ?
>>
>> BTW, if I want to talk about this in IRC meeting, which meeting should I
>> attend ? Nova API meeting on Tuesday ?
> Sorry, I hadn't spotted there was a spec up for review.
> I will go take a look at that, and add my comments on there.

Thank you very much. :)

> Certainly the XenAPI host maintenance mode was built for support of
> XenServer pools.

Yes, I noticed that. And I was trying to do the same thing in libvirt
driver.
But after digging into the code, I found that we can do this totally in
nova compute.

So the latest plan is to implement a common one in compute as the
default handling. Xen implemented its own version, that is OK. For those
drivers who don't have one, they can use the default one.

You can also refer to the v1 patch set. I think code is the best
description.

> That support is currently untested, so I want to push for that to be
> deprecated, and eventually removed.

Please let me know your latest idea. And I'd like to help.

Thanks.