[openstack-dev] [keystone] [puppet] [neutron] Deprecating nova_admin_ options in puppet-neutron

Jamie Lennox jamielennox at redhat.com
Wed Oct 14 23:37:17 UTC 2015

TL;DR: you can fairly easily convert existing puppet params into auth
plugin format for now, but we're going to need the hash based config
soon.

I think as a first step it is a good idea to replace the deprecated
options and use the password, v2password or v3password plugins*
because you will need to maintain compatibility with the existing
auth_user, auth_tenant etc options.

However I would like to suggest all the puppet projects start to look
at some way of passing around a hash of this information. We are
currently at the stage where we have both kerberos and x509 auth_token
middleware authentication working and IMO this will become the
preferred deployment mechanism for service authentication in
environments that have this infrastructure. (SAML and other auth
mechanisms have also been proven to work here but are less likely to
be used for service users). Note that this will not only apply to
auth_token service users, but any service who has admin credentials
configured in their conf file.

I don't think it's necessary for puppet to validate the contents of
these hashes, but i think it will be a loosing battle to add all the
options required for all upcoming authentication types to each
service.

I'm not sure if this makes it easier for you or not, but for
situations exactly like this loading auth plugins from a config file
take an auth_section option so you can do:

[keystone_authtoken]
auth_section = my_authentication_conf

[my_authentication_conf]
auth_plugin = password

and essentially dump that hash straight into config without fear of
having them conflict with existing options. It would also let you
share credentials if you configure for example the nova service user
in multiple places in the same config file, you can point multiple
locations to the same auth_section.

* The difference is that password queries keystone for available
versions and uses the discovered urls for the correct endpoint and so
expects the auth_url to be 'http://keystone.url:5000/' v2 and v3 are
v2 and v3 specific and so expect the URL to be of the /v2.0 or /v3
form. Password will work with /v2.0 or /v3 urls because those
endpoints return only the current url as part of discovery and so it
is preferred. For the smallest possible change v2password is closer to
what the old options provide but then you'll have a bigger step to get
to v3 auth - which we want fast.