[openstack-dev] [neutron] Neutron rolling upgrade - are we there yet?

Dan Smith dms at danplanet.com
Wed Oct 14 18:27:11 UTC 2015

> I would like to gather all upgrade activities in Neutron in one place,
> in order to summarizes the current status and future activities on
> rolling upgrades in Mitaka.

Glad to see this work really picking up steam in other projects!

> b.      TODO: To have the rolling upgrade we have to implement the RPC
> version pinning in conf.
>
>         i.     I’m not a big
>         fan of this solution, but we can work out better idea if needed.

I'll just point to this:

  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/233289/

and if you go check the logs for the partial-ncpu job, you'll see
something like this:

  nova.compute.rpcapi  Automatically selected compute RPC version 4.5
from minimum service version 2

I think that some amount of RPC pinning is probably going to be required
for most people in most places, given our current model. But I assume
the concern is around requiring this to be a manual task the operators
have to manage. The above patch is the first step towards nova removing
this as something the operators have to know anything about.

--Dan