[openstack-dev] [release] release request process change

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Wed Oct 14 15:26:35 UTC 2015

During the last cycle, we had several library releases go out without
subsequent requirements updates even though projects wanted to use the
new features. That meant at the end of the cycle our lower-bound
requirements were not accurate. To avoid that happening this cycle, we
have modified the release process slightly [1] to request that the
requirements update be submitted after the release request, and that the
two changes be linked by having the requirements update depend on the
release request.

Some releases will not require minimum versions to be raised, but all
will require constraint updates. With the constraint system in place we
won't be testing with a new release until the constraint is changed.

Note that the requirements update will fail until the release is
completed, but by having both patches submitted together we can ensure
that we're actively maintaining our own requirements list as we release
new libraries.

We'll be enforcing this new policy in reviews starting this week.

Thanks,
Doug

[1] http://docs.openstack.org/releases/instructions.html