[openstack-dev] [Neutron][dns]What the meaning of "dns_assignment" and "dns_name"?

Zhi Chang changzhi at unitedstack.com
Tue Oct 13 14:58:07 UTC 2015

Hi, all
    I install the latest devstack and create a vm by nova. I get the port's info which created by Neutron. I'm confused that what the meaning of column "dns_assignment" and column "dns_name".
    First, column "dns_assignment" is a read-only attribute. What is it used for? I think that this column is useless except shows DNS infomation (include hostname, ip, fqdn). Does my thought right?
    Second, I don't quite understand what the meaning of column "dns_name". I can update this column, but there is nothing happen when my operation was done. In other words, this column has no change when I run "neutron port-update xxx --dns_name=test". What the column "dns_name" use for?

Thanks
Zhi Chang