[openstack-dev] [puppet][Fuel] Using Native Ruby Client for Openstack Providers

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Tue Oct 13 14:18:36 UTC 2015

On 10/13/2015 07:13 AM, Vladimir Kuklin wrote:
> Puppetmaster and Fuelers,
>
> Last week I mentioned that I would like to bring the theme of using
> native ruby OpenStack client and use it within the providers.
>
> Emilien told me that I had already been late and the decision was made
> that puppet-openstack decided to not work with Aviator based on [0]. I
> went through this thread and did not find any unresolvable issues with
> using Aviator in comparison with potential benefits it could have
> brought up.
>
> What I saw actually was like that:
>
> * Pros
>
> 1) It is a native ruby client
> 2) We can import it in puppet and use all the power of Ruby
> 3) We will not need to have a lot of forks/execs for puppet

I think 1), 2), and 3) go together - that is, the reason why 1) and 2)
are good is because of 3) - since aviator is native ruby, there is no
need to fork/exec.  What other "power of Ruby" is there to be taken
advantage of?

As for fork/exec, it remains to be seen that fork/exec is causing a
performance problem.  Note that you can also run the openstackclient in
"persistent" mode - that is, use it as a persistent pipe, which will
read commands from stdin and output to stdout, which should alleviate
much if not all of any performance problem caused by multiple
fork/exec.  We just haven't investigated this route yet because it needs
to be proven that fork/exec causes performance problems.

> 4) You are relying on negotiated and structured output provided by API
> (JSON) instead of introducing workarounds for client output like [1]

openstackclient can output JSON.

> * Cons
>
> 1) Aviator is not actively supported

This is huge.

> 2) Aviator does not track all the upstream OpenStack features while
> native OpenStack client does support them

This is also huge.

> 3) Ruby community is not really interested in OpenStack (this one is
> arguable, I think)
>
> * Proposed solution
>
> While I completely understand all the cons against using Aviator right
> now, I see that Pros above are essential enough to change our mind and
> invest our own resources into creating really good OpenStack binding
> in Ruby.

I'm still not convinced.

> Some are saying that there is not so big involvement of Ruby into
> OpenStack. But we are actually working with Puppet/Ruby and are
> invloved into community. So why should not we own this by ourselves
> and lead by example here?

> I understand that many of you do already have a lot of things on their
> plate and cannot or would not want to support things like additional
> library when native OpenStack client is working reasonably well for
> you. But if I propose the following scheme to get support of native
> Ruby client for OpenStack:
>
> 1) we (community) have these resources (speaking of the company I am
> working for, we at Mirantis have a set of guys who could be very
> interested in working on Ruby client for OpenStack)
> 2) we gradually improve Aviator code base up to the level that it
> eliminates issues that are mentioned in  'Cons' section
> 3) we introduce additional set of providers and allow users and
> operators to pick whichever they want
> 4) we leave OpenStackClient default one
>
> Would you support it and allow such code to be merged into upstream
> puppet-openstack modules?

I would be in favor of such a plan if
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/puppet-openstack-weekly-meeting-20151013 questions
0.4.1-0.4.7 could be answered in the affirmative.