[openstack-dev] Requests + urllib3 + distro packages

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Tue Oct 13 06:47:09 UTC 2015

On 10/13/2015 12:44 AM, Joshua Harlow wrote:
> Anvil gets somewhat far on this, although its not supporting DEBs it
> does build its best attempt at RPMs building them automatically and
> turning git repos of projects into RPMs.
>
> http://anvil.readthedocs.org/en/latest/topics/summary.html (hopefully
> the existence of this is not news to folks).
>
> A log of this in action (very verbose) is at:
>
> http://logs.openstack.org/40/225240/4/check/gate-anvil-rpms-dsvm-devstack-centos7/0eea2a9/console.html

Automation can only bring you so far. I also have automation which we
could use for debs (see the pkgos-debpypi script from the
openstack-pkg-tools package), however, there's always the need for
manual reviews. I don't believe it ever will be possible to do full
automation, as each Python package has specificities. Note that this is
mainly an issue with Python modules, if it was PHP pear packages, it
could be fully automated. So probably there's some PEP that we could
start to ease this. If only everyone was using testr, pbr, defining
copyright correctly and providing a parseable long and short
description, it wouldn't be such an issue.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)