[openstack-dev] [Murano] py26 support in python-muranoclient

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Sat Oct 10 12:17:40 UTC 2015

On 2015-10-09 18:51:51 +0000 (+0000), Tim Bell wrote:
> There is a need to distinguish between server side py26 support
> which is generally under the control of the service provider and
> py26 support on the client side. For a service provider to push
> all of their hypervisors and service machines to RHEL 7 is under
> their control but requiring all of their users to do the same is
> much more difficult.
[...]

Agreed, this is why the master branches of clients/libraries opted
to continue testing with Python 2.6 throughout the supported
lifetime of the stable/juno branches. But much like for the service
providers and users, continuing to run older Linux distributions
(CentOS 6.x, Ubuntu 12.4.x) in our test infrastructure comes at a
significant cost and at some point we need to free up our limited
sysadmin resources to focus on better support for more recent distro
releases.

Once new patches to OpenStack projects are no longer actively tested
on these older platforms, we have to expect that the ability to run
new versions of the projects on them will quickly vanish. However,
users on those older distro releases can opt to continue using
whatever versions last supported them or perhaps fall back on the
versions provided by their distro's package manager.
--
Jeremy Stanley