[openstack-dev] [CI] Try to introduce RFC mechanism to CI.

Dmitry Tantsur dtantsur at redhat.com
Fri Oct 9 12:06:13 UTC 2015

On 10/09/2015 12:06 PM, Tang Chen wrote:

> On 10/09/2015 05:48 PM, Jordan Pittier wrote:
>> Hi,
>> On Fri, Oct 9, 2015 at 11:00 AM, Tang Chen <tangchen at cn.fujitsu.com
>> <mailto:tangchen at cn.fujitsu.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     Hi,
>>
>>     CI systems will run tests for each patch once it is submitted or
>>     modified.
>>     But most CI systems occupy a lot of resource, and take a long time to
>>     run tests (1 or 2 hours for one patch).
>>
>>     I think, not all the patches submitted need to be tested. Even
>>     those patches
>>     with an approved BP and spec may be reworked for 20+ versions. So
>>     I think
>>     CI should support a RFC (Require For Comments) mechanism for
>>     developers
>>     to submit and review the code detail and rework. When the patches are
>>     fully ready, I mean all reviewers have agreed on the
>>     implementation detail,
>>     then CI will test the patches.
>>
>> So have the humans do the hard work to eventually find out that the
>> patch breaks the world ?
>
> No. Developers of course will run some tests themselves before they
> submit patches.

Tests, but not all possible CI's. E.g. in ironic we 6 devstack-based
jobs, I don't really expect a submitter to go through them manually.
Actually, it's an awesome feature of our CI system that I would not give
away :)

Also as a reviewer, I'm not sure I would like to argue on function
names, while I'm not even sure that this change does not break the world.