[openstack-dev] We should move strutils.mask_password back into oslo-incubator

Paul Carlton paul.carlton2 at hpe.com
Fri Oct 9 06:49:22 UTC 2015

On 08/10/15 16:49, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> Excerpts from Matt Riedemann's message of 2015-10-07 14:38:07 -0500:
>> Here's why:
>>
>> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/220622/
>>
>> That's marked as fixing an OSSA which means we'll have to backport the
>> fix in nova but it depends on a change to strutils.mask_password in
>> oslo.utils, which required a release and a minimum version bump in
>> global-requirements.
>>
>> To backport the change in nova, we either have to:
>>
>> 1. Copy mask_password out of oslo.utils and add it to nova in the
>> backport or,
>>
>> 2. Backport the oslo.utils change to a stable branch, release it as a
>> patch release, bump minimum required version in stable g-r and then
>> backport the nova change and depend on the backported oslo.utils stable
>> release - which also makes it a dependent library version bump for any
>> packagers/distros that have already frozen libraries for their stable
>> releases, which is kind of not fun.
> Bug fix releases do not generally require a minimum version bump. The
> API hasn't changed, and there's nothing new in the library in this case,
> so it's a documentation issue to ensure that users update to the new
> release. All we should need to do is backport the fix to the appropriate
> branch of oslo.utils and release a new version from that branch that is
> compatible with the same branch of nova.
>
> Doug
>
>> So I'm thinking this is one of those things that should ultimately live
>> in oslo-incubator so it can live in the respective projects. If
>> mask_password were in oslo-incubator, we'd have just fixed and
>> backported it there and then synced to nova on master and stable
>> branches, no dependent library version bumps required.
>>
>> Plus I miss the good old days of reviewing oslo-incubator
>> syncs...(joking of course).

I've been following this discussion, is there now a consensus on the way
forward?

My understanding is that Doug is suggesting back porting my oslo.utils
change to the stable juno and kilo branches?

--
Paul Carlton
Software Engineer

Mobile:    +44 (0)7768 994283
Email:    mailto:paul.carlton2 at hpe.com
Hewlett-Packard Limited registered Office: Cain Road, Bracknell, Berks RG12 1HN Registered No: 690597 England.
The contents of this message and any attachments to it are confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received this message in error, you should delete it from your system immediately and advise the sender. To any recipient of this message within HP, unless otherwise stated you should consider this message and attachments as "HP CONFIDENTIAL".