[openstack-dev] [nova] live migration in Mitaka

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Wed Oct 7 21:54:29 UTC 2015

> For suspended instances, the scenario is really the same as with completely
> offline instances. The only extra step is that you need to migrate the saved
> image state file, as well as the disk images. This is trivial once you have
> done the code for migrating disk images offline, since its "just one more file"
> to care about.  Officially apps aren't supposed to know where libvirt keeps
> the managed save files, but I think it is fine for Nova to peek behind the
> scenes to get them. Alternatively I'd be happy to see an API added to libvirt
> to allow the managed save files to be uploaded & downloaded via a libvirt
> virStreamPtr object, in the same way we provide APIs to  upload & download
> disk volumes. This would avoid the need to know explicitly about the file
> location for the managed save image.

Assuming we were using libvirt with the storage pools API could we currently
(with existing libvirt) migrate domains that have been suspended with
virDomainSave()?  Or is the only current option to have nova move the file over
using passwordless access?

I'm assuming we want to work towards using storage pools to get away from the
need for passwordless access between hypervisors, so having libvirt support
would be useful.

Chris