[openstack-dev] Scheduler proposal

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Wed Oct 7 19:28:36 UTC 2015

On 07/10/15 13:36, Ed Leafe wrote:
> Several months ago I proposed an experiment [0] to see if switching the data model for the Nova scheduler to use Cassandra as the backend would be a significant improvement as opposed to the current design using multiple copies of the same data (compute_node in MySQL DB, HostState in memory in the scheduler, ResourceTracker in memory in the compute node) and trying to keep them all in sync via passing messages.

It seems to me (disclaimer: not a Nova dev) that which database to use
is completely irrelevant to your proposal, which is really about moving
the scheduling from a distributed collection of Python processes with
ad-hoc (or sometimes completely missing) synchronisation into the
database to take advantage of its well-defined semantics. But you've
framed it in such a way as to guarantee that this never gets discussed,
because everyone will be too busy arguing about whether or not Cassandra
is better than Galera.

cheers,
Zane.