[openstack-dev] [nova] It's time to update the Liberty release notes

Steve Gordon sgordon at redhat.com
Wed Oct 7 18:47:18 UTC 2015

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Matt Riedemann" <mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com>
>
> We need to go through the changes which were tagged for release notes
> [1]. Generally this means anything with the UpgradeImpact tag but can
> also mean things with DocImpact.
>
> Here are the commits in liberty that had the UpgradeImpact tag:
>
> mriedem at ubuntu:~/git/nova$ git log --oneline -i --grep UpgradeImpact
> stable/kilo..stable/liberty
> 0b49934 CONF.allow_resize_to_same_host should check only once in controller
> 4a9e14a Update ComputeNode values with allocation ratios in the RT
> 4a18f7d api: use v2.1 only in api-paste.ini
> 11507ee api: deprecate the concept of extensions in v2.1
> 9c91781 Add missing rules in policy.json
> 1b8a2e0 Adding user_id handling to keypair index, show and create api calls
> 0283234 libvirt: Always default device names at boot
> 725c54e Remove db layer hard-code permission checks for
> quota_class_create/update
> 1dbb322 Remove db layer hard-code permission checks for
> quota_class_get_all_by_name
> 4d6a50a Remove db layer hard-code permission checks for floating_ip_dns
> 55e63f8 Allow non-admin to list all tenants based on policy
> 92807d6 Remove redundant policy check from security_group_default_rule
> 2a01a1b Remove hv_type translation shim for powervm
> dcd4be6 Remove db layer hard-code permission checks for quota_get_all_*
> 06e6056 Remove cell policy check
> d03b716 libvirt: deprecate libvirt version usage < 0.10.2
> 5309120 Update kilo version alias
>
> So if you own on of those, please up the release notes.
>
> Here are the DocImpact changes:
>
> mriedem at ubuntu:~/git/nova$ git log --oneline -i --grep DocImpact
> stable/kilo..stable/liberty
> bc6f30d Give instance default hostname if hostname is empty
> 4ee4f9f RT: track evacuation migrations
> 9095b36 Expose keystoneclient's session and auth plugin loading parameters
> 4a9e14a Update ComputeNode values with allocation ratios in the RT
> 4a18f7d api: use v2.1 only in api-paste.ini
> 11507ee api: deprecate the concept of extensions in v2.1
> 45d1e3c Expose VIF net-id attribute in os-virtual-interfaces
> 9d353e5 libvirt: take account of disks in migration data size
> 17e5911 Add deprecated_for_removal parm for deprecated neutron_ops
> 95940cc Don't allow instance to overcommit against itself
> 9cd9e66 Add rootwrap daemon mode support
> c250aca Allow compute monitors in different namespaces
> 434ce2a Added processing /compute URL
> 2c0a306 Limit parallel live migrations in progress
> da33ab4 libvirt: set caps on maximum live migration time
> 07c7e5c libvirt: support management of downtime during migration
> 60d08e6 Add documentation for the nova-cells command.
> ae5a329 libvirt:Rsync remote FS driver was added
> 9a09674 libvirt: enable virtio-net multiqueue
> 8a7b1e8 :Add documentation for the nova-idmapshift command.
> bf91d9f Added missed '-' to the rest_api_version_history.rst
> 1b8a2e0 Adding user_id handling to keypair index, show and create api calls
> [...]

This got raised on the docs list today so I went and had a look and while there has been some progress on the upgrade notes there was no new features section yet. I endeavored to cover a grab bag of them (consider this an opportunity to point out how wrong I got them [1]...) and added a few upgrade notes/deprecations that stood out from the above lists but there is still plenty for enterprising individuals to pick up...

Thanks,

Steve

[1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/ReleaseNotes/Liberty#OpenStack_Compute_.28Nova.29