[openstack-dev] [Cinder] Google Hangout recording of volume manger locks

Walter A. Boring IV walter.boring at hpe.com
Wed Oct 7 18:01:49 UTC 2015

Hello folks,
   I just wanted to post up the YouTube link for the video hangout that
the Cinder team just had.

We had a good discussion about the local file locks in the volume
manager and how it affects the interaction
of Nova with Cinder in certain cases.  We are trying to iron out how to
proceed ahead with removing the
volume manager locks in a way that doesn't break the world.  The hope of
this is to eventually allow Cinder
to run active/active HA c-vol services.

The Youtube.com link for the recording is here on my personal account:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_iXpNcWDv8

We discussed several things in the meeting:
* The etherpad that was used as a basis for discussion:
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/cinder-active-active-vol-service-issues
* What to do with the current volume manager locks and how do we remove
them?
* How do we move forward with checking 'ING' states for volume actions?
* What is the process for moving forward with the compare/swap patches
that Gorka has in gerrit.

Action Items:
*  We agreed to take a deeper look into the main compare/swap changes
that Gorka has in gerrit and see if we can get those to land.
   * https://review.openstack.org/#/c/205834/
   * https://review.openstack.org/#/c/218012/
* Gorka is to update the patches and add the references to the
specs/blueprints for reference.
* Gorka is going to post up follow up patch sets to test the removal of
each lock and see if it is sufficient to remove each individual lock.

Follow up items:
* Does it make sense for the community to create an OpenStack Cinder
youtube account, where the PTL owns the account, and we run
each of our google hangouts through that.  The advantage of this is to
allow the community to participate openly, as well as record each of
our Cinder hangouts for folks that can't attend the live event.  We
could use this account for the meetups as well as the conference sessions,
and have them all recorded and saved in one spot.

Cheers,
Walt