[openstack-dev] [all] devstack extras.d support going away at M1 - your jobs may break if you rely on it in your dsvm jobs

Kai Qiang Wu wkqwu at cn.ibm.com
Wed Oct 7 11:31:39 UTC 2015

Hi Sean,

Do you mean all other projects, like Barbican (non-standard implementation
with copy/paste ways) would break in devstack ?

Thanks

Best Wishes,
Kai Qiang Wu (吴开强  Kennan)
IBM China System and Technology Lab, Beijing

E-mail: wkqwu at cn.ibm.com
Tel: 86-10-82451647
Address: Building 28(Ring Building), ZhongGuanCun Software Park,
         No.8 Dong Bei Wang West Road, Haidian District Beijing P.R.China
100193
            M1 - your jobs may break if you rely on it in your dsvm jobs

Before we had devstack plugins, we had a kind of janky extras.d
mechanism. A bunch of projects implemented some odd copy / paste
mechanism in test jobs to use that in unexpected / unsupported ways.

We've had devstack plugins for about 10 months. They provide a very "pro
user" experience by letting you enable arbitrary plugins with:

enable_plugin $name git://git.openstack.org/openstack/$project [$branch]

They have reasonable documentation here
http://docs.openstack.org/developer/devstack/plugins.html

We're now getting to the point where some projects like Magnum are
getting into trouble trying to build jobs with projects like Barbican,
because Magnum uses devstack plugins, and Barbican has some odd non
plugin copy paste method. Building composite test jobs are thus really
wonky.

This is a heads up that at Mitaka 1 milestone the extras.d support will
be removed. The copy / paste method was never supported, and now it will
explicitly break. Now would be a great time for teams to prioritize
getting to the real plugin architecture.

		 -Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net