[openstack-dev] [Glance] Process to clean up the review queue from non-active patches

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Wed Oct 7 10:12:10 UTC 2015

On 07/10/15 11:12 +0200, Julien Danjou wrote:
>On Wed, Oct 07 2015, Flavio Percoco wrote:
>
>> I'm not trying to solve the lack of reviews in Liberty by removing
>> patches. What I'd like to do, though, is help to keep around patches
>> that really matter.
>
>I think that's where you are making a mistake. They are contributors,
>like me or Victor, are knocking on the Glance doors for months now,
>sending patches that resolve technical debt rather than adding new
>debt^Wfeatures. Currently, these patches are not seen as important and
>are often "dismissed". So I'm pretty sure they are going to expire with
>this new system.

I can't do anything for the past failures other than saying I'm sorry.
As I mentioned in previous emails in this thread, the work to make the
review process better is unrelated to the topic on this email, really.

I wouldn't say that your patches (or Victor's) weren't important for
the team but I would like to avoid getting into the details of the
past, tbh.

>Imagine that if you were merging patches from me, Victor, and people
>like us, we would continue to send many of them, and mid-term, you'd get
>some new blood on your core team.

I don't think this needs to be explained and I trust the whole Glance
core team to know this. Although, it's better to be explicit than
implicit so, thanks.

>What is proposed here is really focusing on making life easier for the
>current core team which is in large majority inactive.

This is were I think I'm failing to communicate the intention here.
The dashboard[0] I've put up is the one that intends to make the core
team's life easier.

[0] http://bit.ly/glance-review-dashboard

>Don't read me wrong. I know you and Nikhil are both well-intentioned by
>proposing that. I just think it's going to be worse, because it won't
>improve much and you're going to push new contributors away.

Absolutely, I value everyone's feedback on this thread a lot. I hope
I'm explaining the goal correctly. If I'm not, I'm more than happy to
talk more about this (See my email with some stats for example).

Cheers,
Flavio

--
@flaper87