[openstack-dev] [Glance] Process to clean up the review queue from non-active patches

Nikhil Komawar nik.komawar at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 16:15:50 UTC 2015

I think Glance reviewer brandwidth is pretty low and the feedback time
can be quite high. For specs, I had requested a section describing the
core reviewer who will be vouching for your spec to be added to the spec
itself. I think in general we have not seen anyone doing that strongly.

If a spec isn't proposed as a priority at the beginning of a summit and
if it's a big change and is not decided to an extent, it becomes quite
tricky to get in the project in that cycle. As a general feedback I have
always recommend bringing feature proposals at summit sessions,
mid-cycle, meetings etc etc. If a feature has missed it other proposal
have gotten priority. Also, there were priorities that were set the
beginning of the cycle and if a proposal isn't on the list there, it
becomes tricky to make a call for a new spec to get merged in one cycle.

<that's some additional feedback>

Happy to help on the process, review speed, activities 'context' more if
you want input.

On 10/6/15 11:52 AM, Julien Danjou wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 06 2015, Flavio Percoco wrote:
>
> I send patches to Glance from time to time, and they usually got 0
> review for *weeks* (sometimes months, because, well there are no
> reviewers active in Glance, so:
>
>> 1) Lets do this on patches that haven't had any activity in the last 2
>> months. This adds one more month to Erno's proposal. The reason being
>> that during the lat cycle, there were some ups and downs in the review
>> flow that caused some patches to get stuck.
> This is going to expire my patches that nobody cares about and that are
> improving the code or fixing stuff people didn't encounter (yet).
>
>> 3) The patch will be first marked as a WIP and then abandoned if the
>> patch is not updated in 1 week. This will put this patches at the
>> begining of the queue but using the Glance review dashboard should
>> help keeing focus.
> Why WIP? If a patch is complete and waiting for reviewers I'm not sure
> it helps.
>
> The problem is that nobody is reviewing Glance patches (except you
> recently it seems). That's not going to solve that. That's just going to
> hide the issues under the carpet by lowering the total of patches that
> needs review…
>
> My 2c,

Nikhil