[openstack-dev] [tripleo] How to selectively enable new services?

marios marios at redhat.com
Mon Oct 5 10:21:54 UTC 2015

On 01/10/15 20:34, Dan Prince wrote:
> [...]
> as normal. Perhaps a new 'roles' directory would help organize these
> services... The mechanism for composability on the Heat side is really
> the resource registry so we need to be careful to name and document
> these things correctly.
>
> ----
>
> On the Puppet side the initial goal was to avoid creating what we
> called a composition layer, which is basically a new set of puppet
> modules that act as a front end for all of your roles etc. This isn't
> to say that we don't want composability with the Puppet (we do) but
> just that our preference was to write role manifests that used direct
> include statements to OpenStack Puppet modules. This proved to be a
> more hackable set of templates and forces us to use (as much as
> possible) OpenStack puppet or add functionality there rather than go
> and write our own puppet-tripleo to rule the world.
>
> In practice that didn't fully work out and we do have a small bit of
> Puppet code in puppet-tripleo. I consider much of this to be technical
> debt and over the mid to long term would prefer to refactor and add the
> puppet-tripleo bits elsewhere.
>
> One area we could improve our puppet architecture might be with regards
> to how we actually deploy the puppet manifests themselves. Currently we
> deploy the manifests with Heat directly by using get_file to deploy the
> manifest alongside of the SoftwareConfig (looks something like this htt
> p://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/tripleo-heat
> -templates/tree/puppet/compute-post.yaml#n23). This works really nicely
> in that our puppet manifests can live alongside of the (lightly)
> coupled Heat templates which pass in parameters via Hiera. However the
> approach is limited in that we can only deploy a single manifest (not a
> directory of roles that could be dynamically assembled or included on
> the fly). Perhaps we could expand this capability a bit so that we
> could structure the puppet a bit more freely into decomposed role
> manifests. We already have a similar thing going on w/ the Hiera
> element where we can deploy multiple Hiera files for each role. So
> perhaps a script step to deploy multiple puppet files (generic so it
> could be used in multiple templates), or perhaps we could use Swift to
> deploy these alongside of Heat (I'm not sure we have the required
> OS::Swift heat resources for this ATM though).
>
> Again we've already got mechanisms to compose puppet Hiera, we just
> need a few more tricks to more easily compose the role manifests
> themselves...
>
> Dan
>

>> As mentioned above, not aiming to block anything on this, I guess we
>> can
>> figure it out and retro-fit it to whatever services folks want to
>> selectively disable later if needed.
>
> Agree with not blocking the Manilla and Sahara integration. I don't see
> anything with regards to those that would prevent future refactoring to

one question clarification here - I am reviewing the manila-generic
patches @ https://review.openstack.org/#/c/188137/30 - on my downstream
setup none of the manila-* dependencies are landed. Regardless of the
how, I think (and sounds like from the previous posts) in the very least
some mechanism for enable/disable these 'new' services is a desirable
thing to have.

However what about the images? Will manila always be installed on
deployed image (what if I build my own images, explicitly without
manila?). The expectation on the current review above is that even if I
don't deploy/configure anything manila, the packages are available,
otherwise the include ::manila* on the puppet manifest fails as on the
review comments (which imo is wrong, especially if there is an easy way
to make it so for now, any new heat/templates methods as proposed by
dprince above notwithstanding). Grateful for any other opinions on the
review,

thanks, marios