[openstack-dev] [fuel] What to do when a controller runs out of space

Alex Schultz aschultz at mirantis.com
Fri Oct 2 19:50:30 UTC 2015

Hey All,

So I was working on Bug 1493520 which is about what happens when a
controller runs out of space. For this I came up with a solution[1] to
leverage pacemaker to migrate services away from the controller when
it runs out of space.  This works great for rabbitmq/mysql where if
they run out of space "Bad Things Happen"™. But there is a problem
that I didn't realize until QA got ahold of it. We run services
(neutron-server,heat,nova-api,etc) on our controllers that are not
managed via corosync so they still run and will attempt to serve
requests via the haproxy that was conveniently moved off of the bad
controller node.

So my question is, what should we do in this case? Should we be
managing the start/stop of these services via Pacemaker? We would get
additional benefits of having these services restarted if they crash
and they would get stopped when the node health goes red like the rest
of the services.  But this will add additional complexity if anyone
want to extract these services off of the controller to run on their
own.

Another solution would be to try and figure out some haproxy solution
for the node.  I'm not sure if haproxy has the concept of a node
health check like some other load-balancing solutions do. If it did,
we could just create a node health check that would down all the
services with a single check that could query the cluster health
status.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
-Alex