[openstack-dev] [neutron] New cycle started. What are you up to, folks?

Miguel Angel Ajo mangelajo at redhat.com
Fri Oct 2 17:29:00 UTC 2015

Moshe Levi wrote:
> [...]
That is correct. Eventually, we should either:

1) Move all neutron devstack code into a plugin
2) Or move the QoS bits back into devstack.

The decision to make QoS part of the core was because we're extending
core resources, and our final aim
is to make it available to all plugins ( here's where the final core
resource extension manager that Ihar
pointed out comes in place.)

>> The trend is now that people are going to throw things into the Neutron
>> DevStack plugin to get their doo-dad up and running, because making a new
>> repo is harder than creating a patch (which maybe shows are repo creation
>> process needs streamlining). I was originally for making Neutron DevStack
>> plugins that exist in their own repos,
Sincerely, Sean, IMHO it doesn't make any sense to create a repository
uniquely for a devstack plugin
to enable a feature which is in the main repository. That's also broken.

Would you ask for a separate devstack plugin for l3  too?

>> instead of putting them in the Neutron
>> tree. At least that makes things small, manageable, and straight forward. Yes,
>> it makes for more plugin lines in your DevStack configuration, but at least you
>> know what each one does, instead of being an agglomeration.
>>
>> If we are not careful, the Neutron DevStack plugin will grow into the big mess
>> that neutron-legacy is.

It's a good opportunity to refactor as we move, if "1" is a good
strategy, otherwise, and if you think
neutron-legacy is a mess, let's work on cleaning it up while at "2".

>> Finally, Look at how many configuration knobs we have, and how there is a
>> tendency to introduce new ones, instead of using local.conf to inject
>> configuration into Neutron and the associated components. This ends up
>> making it very complicated for someone to actually run Neutron in their
>> DevStack, and I think a lot of people would give up and just run Nova-
>> Network, which I will note is *still the default*.

Hmm, I'm not sure I follow, so, if people need to tweak localrc in
extremis, that's even going
to be more painful from the user/developer perspective.