[openstack-dev] [all] Doc dependencies

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Fri Oct 2 15:00:44 UTC 2015

On 10/02/2015 10:53 AM, Kevin L. Mitchell wrote:
> The Pillow-breaking-gate issue was related to having doc dependencies
> listed in the test-requirements.txt; however, those dependencies are not
> needed for testing, except for doc testing and generation.  What do
> people think about creating a new "doc-requirements.txt" file that would
> contain only the doc dependencies?  The appropriate doc environments in
> tox.ini would then need to be extended to pull in that file, and of
> course the global requirements tooling would have to be enhanced to
> recognize the new file as well.

It would still have broken the gate, we test if docs build on every commit.

I think the bigger question is if we believe that a c compiler should be
required to build docs on a python project. Which seems really weird to
me. And a substantially higher barrier to entry than I think we want for
docs contributions.

There was only 1 use of this in all of Nova, and I think we're better
off removing it and coming up with other ways of addressing it.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net